It’s real funny.
There seems to be this dumb rumour floating around the interwebz about how “easy” starting and running your own business is.
A dumb rumour speaking of such nonsense as:
- Lots of free time
- None of the stress you get from working for someone
- Instant, overnight success and wealth beyond your imagination
And other garbage.
Frankly, none of that shit’s true.
Maybe after your business is up and running like a machine. But …
In the startup phase, running a business is a pain in the ass
It’s a traumatising ordeal so stressful, most people quit before it get easy. I should know.
I may be doing “well” for a copywriter at my level. Aside from my backpains, I’m pleased with how I’m doing. My business is growing three times faster than I planned it would.
But it always wasn’t like this.
In fact, just 6 months ago, I was in one of the most stressful positions ever.
- My ex “girlfriend” was pregnant with my child and at 24, was too young to be a father.
- I had 3 sales letters and over 100 item descriptions to write, but couldn’t sit down for more than 10 minutes at a time due to a spinal condition which left me in constant pain.
- I had to help out in dad’s company, and the workload was extra heavy because the main staff was in South Africa on business.
- We where going through a massive heat wave in my country, making it boiling hot even in the shade.
…yet, despite all this, I just sat down and wrote the damn copy.
Yes, I was stressed. But I just put it in the back of my head and grew my business.
Yes, I was in pain. So I lied down and wrote some of the copy on my cellphone when I couldn’t sit down.
Because I knew deep down inside…
The only way for me to get the outcome I craved, was to get the work done
My clients but their businesses on the line hiring me. And I couldn’t let them down.
I don’t know where you are in your business right now.
Things may be flowing smoothly, or you may be in a cyclone of challenges and just wanna call it quits. But just remember, we all love sunny days. But it’s the rain which tests our limits.
Don’t expect it to always be calm and easy in your business.
Some days are going to be moar stressful than a Thai hooker demanding her fee after a poor negotiation.
And to close, a small passage from New Generation’s Can you stand the rain…
Sunny days… Everybody likes them…
But tell me baby
Can. You. Stand. The. Rain!
The rain is coming. And it’s whether you can stand it, or not which’ll decide if you’re meant for this whole “entrepreneuership and hustling” thing.
-Jay “Fuck yeah it’s Saturday” Makoni